Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Autism Acceptance Day

I am on perhaps such an important day willing to speak out for my friends who  are now unable as I was three years ago.
I am now able to speak with my hand and better by mouth.  I am infact fully participating in my world in so many ways. I do all my speaking to all my medical doctors and they fully respect me as me, not as moms imaginary friend who tags along sometimes making a proper verbal comment. I was my own advocate during my final IEP meeting, even reminding mom I can speak for myself! She laughed. I work at Lowes for school credit and frankly believe I could maybe train a few of my peers, laugh.

Perhaps I should speak for really what I believe acceptance is.  Acceptance is not working for a agency,school,or medical practice or social agency that is for disabled and speaking like we don't understand or even exist. I am somebody with feelings that deserve respect. My mind may not show on the outside like when maybe I have jumped or danced in a room when others stared  but I understood everything said by hateful people making fun of my joy of the music.  I understood what was said by teachers about me or my mom. I understood and remember. Having a sticker on your car or wearing the tee shirt isn't acceptance.
Acceptance is knowing my neurology is not the same as yours. You don't have to like when I scream, mom says sometimes we have to leave when I get really loud. She says we can go in the car because people  sometimes get scared.  She doesn't. She says ok lets yell now. But I actually understand because I don't like loud noises either.
Autism acceptance day for me is a day for my friends who still may not speak yet with their hands or mouth to know I will not forget you.  And to my friends who knew I was inside before I could know, I thank you for believing.

4 comments:

  1. Emma, I am amazed at your communication skills! You have made so much progress in such a short time; this is very exciting!

    I can't wait to see where you go from here!

    Love,

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma, I'm a mom and my son who is 12 has autism. What you wrote above brought tears to my eyes because I think if my son had the words, he would say what you said. Thank you for your writing and for sharing your thoughts. All best wishes, Cathy K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear ms Cathy, I and mom and dad thank you because I think reading a blog by autistic people is in my sense a good way for understanding. Love Emma

      Delete
  3. Emma, I just read through all your blog posts from oldest to newest. What a journey. Your poems are beautiful,and you are very honest. Thank you for sharing your voice. Your writing style is unique and it flows very well. When I read someone's unique writing style, I can "hear" their voice as a unique stamp in my mind.

    I was sent here by Amy Sequenzia, I think she's a mutual friend of ours. I have now liked you on Facebook. If you get a personal Facebook page, add me and Amy :)

    I just messaged your blog to Carly Fleischmann's public page - who knows if she'll see it. She probably gets so much fan mail!

    I have a blog too, autisticchick.blogspot.com I have Asperger Syndrome.

    I hope you look at it.

    Peace out,
    Your AutiSister Kitt McKenzie Martin

    ReplyDelete